Home

Friday, January 27, 2023

Coyote Song by Gabino Iglesias

 



This book was an interesting one for me to read. There are little vignettes (for a lack of a better word) that intertwine in this book. We see the realities and obstacles people can face when they are trying to make a better life for themselves. Being a Mexican American myself, the descriptions of some of the threats that the people in the story faced came out so realistic. Growing up I heard about similar situations that family and friends faced in either Mexico or the bordering states. Even if I had not heard similar firsthand stories, the way Gabino Iglesias writes make the words just come alive and makes it easy to formulate a picture in one’s mind to what is happening on the page. I hate to dock the book some points but as it is about my reviews, I’ll rate it as such with the caveat that it is due to personal preferences. My first ding against this book was that it was a fast read and coming in just over 200 pages made it a little disappointing because I wanted more from the story. The other minus that I personally gave is that it is more crime/noir focus that horror like I had wished it would be. If those two reasons do not bother, you this could be a 5-star book for you.  4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment