Home

Friday, March 10, 2023

Blackwater Falls by Ausma Zehanat Khan

 


While I do read and enjoy mystery stories, I am not a huge fan of police procedurals. Blackwater Falls by Ausma Zehanat Khan is a good example of how they can be done right. The book does a good job of introducing different characters that seem believable to have in any law enforcement team. If you have seen any police procedurals on T.V. you can get an idea of the cast that is in this book.

Inaya Rahman has made the move to Colorado from Chicago and faces some of the same situations one would expect the new person to face. On top of her work life, she must deal with her family. The author does a really good job, in my opinion, of showing the readers what can typically go through a family whose generational differences can cause conflicts, especially when traditions and expectations differ between parent and child. As this is the first book in the series, I can see Inaya growing more mature and surer of herself when dealing with both her professional and personal live.

I am not sure if I will read anymore of this series as it is not a genre I typically read, but I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the genre and wants a realistic portrayal of the types of issues minorities may face. I give the book 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment